Are you looking for a book that you won’t be able to put down? Then you’ve come to the right place! Our list of the best suspense books will thrill you, terrify you and make you crave for more.
Keep in mind, though: a good suspense novel is not for the weak of heart. If you’re not accustomed to this genre, you’ll probably sleep with the lights on after reading the first chapters. But, that’s the beauty of it. Everything from the plot, intriguing details, and memorable characters will make you identify with the protagonist and fear for her or his life.
So, are you up for the challenge? Then, head down and take a look at our top ten picks.
What to Consider When Looking for Suspense Books
Here are a few things that will help set the good suspense books apart from the poorly-written ones.
- Understand the Difference Between Mystery and Suspense. A mystery novel will keep you hanging due to the missing pieces of the puzzle. Along the way, you’ll discover more and more details and “solve” the plot together with the protagonist. A suspense book will give the reader more information than the protagonist has. That way, you’ll constantly wonder what will happen, considering that even though you may know that the bad guy wants to kill the main character, you don’t know when that might happen.
- Look for Books in the Thriller Section, Too. The line between thriller and suspense is pretty thin, so it’s not unusual to find amazing suspense stories with thriller elements and vice versa. So, if you are looking for a hefty dose of surprise, suspense, anticipation and a bit of anxiety, then you should check the thriller section in the library or online store. You never know what captivating stories you can find.
Top 10 Suspense Books Ultimate Table
|1. Doctor Sleep by Stephen King||Stephen King||$$||
|2. The Black Widow (Gabriel Allon)
by Daniel Silva
|3. An Innocent Client: Joe Dillard #1 by Scott Pratt||Scott Pratt||$$$||
|4. Mean Streak by Sandra Brown||Sandra Brown||$$$$||
|5. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children)
by Ransom Riggs
|6. The Girl in the Ice: A gripping serial killer thriller by Robert Bryndza||Robert Bryndza||$$$||
|7. Angels & Demons: A Novel (Robert Langdon) by Dan Brown||Dan Brown||$$||
|8. Deadly Stillwater by Roger Stelljes||Roger Stelljes||$||
|9. The Butterfly Garden (The Collector Trilogy) by Dot Hutchison||Dot Hutchison||$$||
|10. Command Authority by Tom Clancy||Tom Clancy||$$$$||
How to Find a Really Good Suspense Book
We realize that suspense is one of the most popular literature genres, so it can be hard to know what to look for. Pay attention to the following tips if you want to find the best suspense books that you’ll enjoy reading.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Experiment. What are the first words that come to mind when you hear the words “suspense novel?” Most probably, you immediately think of the work of Stephen King, such as The Shining or Carrie. Although his books are a great place to start, don’t be afraid to experiment and try some debut books.
- Check the Best New Authors. The great thing about this genre is that the demand is high, so you can rest assured that there’s always a new book coming up.
- Don’t Let the Price Influence You. It might sound harsh, but when it comes to books, the price isn’t always a reflection of quality. We’ve bought books at bargain prices that captivated us, and we’ve spent a small fortune on novels that disappointed us. In the end, it’s just a matter of taste and personal preference. Here’s a trick to remember: if the price is out of your range, consider buying the book in a couple of months.
Top 3 Best Suspense Books Reviews
Doctor Sleep is the overall highest rated suspense book out there. If you loved The Shining, then you will be thrilled to learn that this story is a sequel to one of Stephen King’s most successful novels.
Doctor Sleep presents the life of Dan Torrance who is now a middle-aged man working in a nursing home and trying to put his life in order. While dealing with his personal demons, Dan finds himself trying to save a 12-year-old girl who is hunted by a tribe of paranormals.
Stephen King is one of the most prolific suspense writers in the world. His novels were translated into more than 40 languages, and readers are always on the lookout for his latest novel. So, what better way to get a taste of this genre than by reading a book written by probably the best suspense writer in the world?
This novel will grab your attention and keep you hanging till the last word. Described as the best spy fictional creation since James Bond, we have no doubt that this bestseller will make you forget about everything else.
Daniel Silva is known for his gripping novels, but The Black Widow is considered to be his greatest masterpiece. With a skillful writing style and brilliant imagination, this author will reveal a magical world that’s filled with danger, action and plot twists on every corner.
You just can’t go wrong with this novel. If you’ve loved James Bond, then you’ll enjoy following Gabriel Allon, the protagonist of this novel, in a world of secret intelligence services, conspiracy theories, and terrorist attacks.
This compelling novel will make you want to stand up and fight for justice along with the protagonist, Joe Dillard. With vivid characters that are anchored in reality, it will be easy to immerse yourself in the story and become one with the main character.
Joe Dillard is a criminal defense lawyer that has grown cynical regarding the innocence of his clients up until he comes across a beautiful young girl, falsely accused of murdering a preacher.
An Innocent Client was published in 2013 and has quickly turned into a bestseller. Sophisticated, captivating, and with well-developed plot and characters, this is without a doubt, one of the best suspense books ever written.