10 Best Interior Design Books 2021
Many seem to prefer interior design books as a form of artwork – if the cover matches the décor, it goes on the coffee table to collect dust.
What a pity that so many books are literally judged by their covers!
Those of you who are really interested in finding some solid décor advice should check out the titles on our list.
Top 10 Interior Design Books Ultimate Table
Design Books to Consider
Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by the number of styles and design choices out there? Do you fall in love with picture after picture in a magazine and think to yourself, “I want my home to look like this!” even though the pictures are different?
Looking at picture books is great when you need some inspiration, but it will be much easier to choose a book with a specific goal in mind.
What do you want to learn from the book you purchase? Answer this question, and you’ll be able to find the right one.
Here are some of the top categories to consider narrow down the options.
- Home Staging. Are you a real estate agent who wants to know the secrets to staging a home so you can make a sale? If so, pick up a copy of Home Staging for Profit to help you understand how to design a home that will attract buyers.
- Using Color. If you have trouble matching colors or need some inspiration when it comes to choosing a color palette, then The Colour Scheme Bible: Inspirational Palettes for Designing Home Interiors is ideal. It is filled with unique color combination ideas that will have you running to the paint store.
- How to Incorporate Texture. Those who want to understand design on a slightly deeper level might wonder how to use texture in a design scheme.
Living with Pattern: Color, Texture and Print at Home is a fabulous book that discusses this topic and one that we will be discussing in our “Review” section later.
- Theme-Specific Books. If you already have a certain theme in mind, then stick with books to help you understand the key elements of that theme.
The New Bohemians: Cool & Collected Homes and Flea Market Fabulous: Designing Gorgeous Rooms with Vintage Treasures – both with self-explanatory titles – offer specific tips and suggestions centered around those who love Bohemian and Flea Market styles, respectively.
- History. Students and professionals will benefit greatly from a book discussing the history of interior design, and while we didn’t include it on our list, there is a good book written by John Pile and Judith Gura that delves into the heart of interior decorating from the prehistory up until the present.
Top 3 Best Interior Design Books Reviews
The name of this book says it all. If you want to find out how to balance interior design with your everyday lifestyle, then get a copy of this book!
Author Myquillyn Smith is a self-taught decorator who also runs a successful design blog (The Nesting Place), where she encourages readers to “embrace the imperfect” parts of their home and style.
To avoid any unpleasant surprises, we can tell you right now that the book is more about accepting the home you have rather than design tips and inspirational color schemes that will help you make a big change.
If you’re sick of feeling like you can never achieve the design layouts that you see in magazines, then read this book. It may not be filled inspiring photos, but the good news is that you can head to her blog for that! She provides readers regular inspiration and design ideas, and it all ties in nicely to this thoughtful book.
If you’re looking for something that delves deeper into the key components of design, then Living with Pattern is an excellent choice.
The author – Rebecca Atwood – is a design professional with years of experience in the field. Her experience as a textile designer and artist plays a big role in this book. She provides readers with beautiful photos of pattern ideas and explains how you can incorporate pattern into a room.
Her advice is solid, and the pages are organized well – she is a designer, after all! The serious design student or budding professional will feel confident about adding texture and pattern to a room after reading this book.
Domino is actually an online magazine, and this book is a collection of the magazine’s top tips. It will take you through the house room by room, providing you with design inspiration, tips, and ideas that you can apply to your home.
They haven’t just organized a collection of their most popular articles, either. The book offers solid design advice drawn from all of their expertise in the field, and it is definitely one of the best interior design books on our list. You will refer to it constantly as you begin to feel more comfortable with the design.
Amateurs and design students will appreciate having a reference book like this on the shelf.