The fantasy genre has become increasingly popular in recent years. That’s both good and bad news. The good news is that you now have more material to feed your hunger for adventures, mythical creatures, and complicated plots. The bad news is that finding the best fantasy book series can be downright painful. Because of the popularity of the genre, it has become extremely difficult to tell the good books from the mediocre ones.
That’s where this guide can come in handy. As fantasy lovers, we’ve taken it upon ourselves to help you find the best fantasy books out there.
Let’s get right into it, shall we?
What to Remember Before Buying a Fantasy Book Series
Here are some of the things you should keep in mind when looking for fantasy series.
- Pick a Sub-Genre. As you are about to learn, there are different types of fantasy novels. In fact, according to some book critics, there are more than 15 different sub-genres, so you can rest assured that there’s something for every taste and preference. Think about what you would like to read. Are you interested in young adult fantasy or do you want something of epic proportions?
- Make Sure That It’s Age Appropriate. The secret to finding the best fantasy series is to look for something that will appeal to your interests. If you’re a young adult, for example, you would probably prefer something that involves a bit of romance. If you are and adult, you would probably want something a bit more complex.
Top 10 Fantasy Books Series Table
|1. Harry Potter: The Complete Collection (1-7)||Low Fantasy||$$$$||
|2. A Game of Thrones: The Story Continues Books 1-5||Epic||$$$||
|3. The Twilight Saga Complete Collection: 5 Volume Boxed Set||Low Fantasy||$||
|4. Dawn of Wonder (The Wakening) (Volume 1)||Epic||$$||
|5. The Queen’s Poisoner (The Kingfountain Series)||Epic||$$||
|6. The Gender Game (Volume 1)||Young Adult||$$||
|7. The Soulkeepers (The Soulkeepers Series Book 1)||Urban||$||
|8. Haunted on Bourbon Street (Volume 1)||Urban||$$||
|9. Thinblade: Sovereign of the Seven Isles: Book One||Urban||$||
|10. Rise of the Dragons (Kings and Sorcerers–Book 1)||Epic||$$||
How to Find a Fantasy Book Series That You Will Love
The world of fantasy books can be a bit complicated if you are new to this genre. Follow these tips if you want to find the best fantasy book series.
- Get Familiar with Fantasy Sub-Genres. The fantasy genre is extremely rich and diverse, and it can be easy to get confused or overlook entire book series. Here are some of the most popular fantasy sub-genres:
- Epic. This sub-genre involves an entire fantasy world with heroic quests, magical creatures, maps and legendary objects. The stories are usually lengthy. Examples: “The Lord of the Rings Trilogy” or “A Game of Thrones.”
- Low Fantasy. The plot is strongly anchored in reality so that it’s easier to believe the possibility of such a story. “Harry Potter” and “Twilight” fall into this category.
- Urban. The action usually takes place in a regular city, but underneath it, there are secrets, magical passageways, and a world that is nothing like ours. Examples: “War of Oaks” and “City of Bones.”
- Portal. This type of sub-genre connects a fantasy world with the real world through a portal or gateway. “The Chronicles of Narnia” or “Alice in Wonderland” are classic portal fantasies.
- Young Adult. This sub-genre features young adult protagonists that discover they have magical skills. This sub-genre also has some romance elements and first love dilemmas. “The Vampire Academy,” and “Daughter of Smoke and Bone” are great examples of young adult fantasy series.
- Size Matters. The size isn’t always a criterion for quality writing. But, if you want a fantasy story that has well-developed themes, an engaging plot, and rounded characters, then look for a series that has at least four volumes.
Top 3 Best Fantasy Book Series Reviews
Harry Potter is the overall highest rated and most beloved fantasy book series by both children and adults.
The books follow the adventures of a young wizard, Harry Potter, and his two best friends, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. Harry and his friends struggle to defeat Lord Voldemort, a dark wizard who wants to become immortal and rule the world.
Since the first book of the series was published in 1997, Harry Potter has found immense success among fantasy lovers and critics alike. The series has been translated into 68 languages, including French, Spanish, and German just to name a few.
Captivating, remarkable, and full of imagination and humor, Harry Potter is, without a doubt, the best fantasy book series.
Chances are you’ve already seen, or at least heard of this well-known series. In case you’re eagerly waiting for the new season of the popular Game of Thrones hit TV show, then maybe it would be a good idea to put this book series on your list.
“A Song of Ice and Fire” is much more than a story, but a truly epic fantasy masterpiece that combines drama with action and magic. The plot revolves around several houses, each with their stories, characters, and drama. The action takes place in the fictional continents of Westeros and Essos and involves kings, betrayal, magical creatures, warriors, and dragons.
The mind-boggling plots, well-rounded characters, and a writing style so engaging that will keep you glued to the pages make “A Song of Ice and Fire” a book that every fantasy lover (or novice) should read.
If you like a bit of action and suspense mixed with romance and, of course, vampires, then “The Twilight Saga” is for you.
Bella is a 17-year-old girl who moves to a gloomy town to live with her father after her mother remarried. Soon, she discovers that some of her classmates are aloof and prefer their company, rather than mingle with the rest. Among them, there’s Edward, a boy who Bella finds attractive although he is rather hostile. Soon enough, Bella learns that there’s a good reason behind his coolness: he and his family are vampires.
If you like a fantasy book that has only a few fantasy elements and presents a love story that surpasses the boundaries of time, then Twilight is the right choice for you.