Do you remember the first time you hid a flashlight under the covers and read after you were supposed to be asleep because you had to find out how the story ends?
Books are the catalyst for education, development, and personal growth, especially for middle schoolers who are trying to gain a sense of themselves in the world, but between classes, extracurricular activities, and their first crush, it’s hard for your child to keep an active interest in reading.
Because we know how difficult it can be to find books that are both entertaining and educational, we’ve searched the web far and wide and compiled a list of the best books for middle schoolers and will present the top 10 to you in our guide.
Whether you’re looking for fantasy and mystery stories or workbooks that will help your children develop their skills, you need to take these tips into account first.
- Look for a Mix of Entertaining and Educational. The last thing your children want after they spend their days analyzing texts, doing persuasive writing exercises, and learning about history is to feel like reading is just another school assignment. Look for books that will hook their attention and help them learn in a fun and engaging way.
- Look for Books That Help Them Discover a New World. Sure, math, science and history are essential, but personal growth is just as important. Think about it this way: a good novel will help your child discover important values, such as friendship, honor, and gratitude. Not to mention, it’s a wonderful way to widen her/his horizons and nourish their creativity.
- Make Sure the Books Are Age Appropriated. One of the most important things you need to pay attention to is the appeal books have for certain age groups. A book written for an 8-year old will differ greatly from one written for an 11-years old.
Top 10 Books for Middle Schoolers Comparison Table
|1. The End of Infinity (A Jack Blank Adventure)||Fun Reading||$$||
|2. Island of Shipwrecks (The Unwanteds)||Fun Reading||$||
|3. 100 Words Every Middle Schooler Should Know||Vocabulary Development||$||
|4. Harry Potter Hard Cover Boxed Set: Books #1-7||Fun Reading||$$$$||
|5. Everything You Need to Ace American History in One Big Fat Notebook: The Complete Middle School Study Guide||Study Guide||$$||
|6. The Merchant of Death (Pendragon)||Fun Reading||$$||
|7. Big Nate Out Loud||Fun Reading||$$||
|8. Smile & Succeed for Teens: A Crash Course in Face-to-Face Communication||Personal Development||$$||
|9. Grammar for Middle School: A Sentence-Composing Approach–A Student Worktext||Workbook Grammar||$$$||
|10. Sixth Grade Daily Geography: Simple Geography Lessons: Wonders Of The World for Kids 6Th Grade Books||Workbook Geography||$||
How to Find Books for Your Middle Schooler
Finding the best books for middle schoolers is like a match-making process: not all children will love the same books. These buying tips will help you find the right books that will keep your kid glued to every page.
- Consider Your Child’s Personality. Ask yourself what do you want your child to accomplish once he or she is finished with the book? Do you want to instill a passion for reading in them? Do you want to help them improve their skills and grades? Regardless of what you want to achieve, consider your child’s personality and personal preferences when choosing a book.
- Introduce Them to Different Genres. Don’t limit your child’s options to just one genre. Let them explore and develop an appetite for reading. Introduce them to both fiction and nonfiction stories, as long as they are age appropriate. If you’re comfortable with their choices, you can let them pick by themselves.
- Choose the Right Format. Kids today are digitally savvy. They grew up with the internet and rarely read print newspapers or teen magazines as we used to do. So, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that your kid might prefer an eBook instead of a physical book. If your children are very active and can’t sit still for a second, audiobooks might be the right format for them. That way, they can listen to them on their way to school or while doing chores.
Top 3 Best Books for Middle Schoolers Reviews
The End of Infinity is the overall highest rated books for middle schoolers by parents, teachers, and students themselves.
This wonderful tale is sure to fascinate any child with its vivid descriptions, and captivating adventures. Not to mention, it’s full of humor and makes for a great way to pass the time for your little one.
The adventures of Jack Blank are a trilogy with so many twists that will keep your kid engaged and eager to learn more. Moreover, the book can teach your child about valuable life lessons, such as the difference between right and wrong and the importance of friendship and honesty.
If you want to instill the passion for reading in your child, then The End of Infinity is, without a doubt, one of the best books for middle schoolers you can find. Whether you choose the Kindle or paperback format, rest assured that your kid will love it nonetheless.
The Unwanteds series is probably the next best thing after Harry Potter. The fascinating adventures of the protagonists stranded on a newly discovered island will keep your child glued to the pages.
Island of Shipwrecks is the fifth book of the book series and although it’s was written for kids, it has a magnetic effect on adults as well. This dystopian fantasy novel will thrill both of you as you dive into a magic world of super-powers, adventures, and epic battles.
Captivating and full of valuable lessons, Island of Shipwrecks is an excellent choice for your middle schooler.
If you want to help your middle schooler develop his or her vocabulary, then this is the perfect book. Not only that they will deepen and expand their reading level, but it will help them improve their grades too.
100 Words Every Middle Schooler Should Know is a book that will enhance your children’s apprehensiveness, offer clarity and improve their pronunciation. This workbook will introduce your children to the words most used by the best writers, such as J.K Rowling, Kate Di Camillo, and Neil Gaiman.
If you are looking for a book that is educational and engaging, then 100 Words Every Middle Schooler Should Know is a great pick.