It’s happy to know that you are looking for the best book writing software to write an amazing book to inspire readers.
At the same time, we all know writing a book is not a cakewalk. It requires perseverance, concentration, consistency, determination, and so on.
That’s why to help you on the journey of writing a book; I came up with this informative blog post that includes both free and paid book writing software.
Using our hand-picked best book writing software, you can also make your writing process become faster, stay organized, and be productive.
So, let’s now gain insights from this article to make your book writing process hassle-free.
Affiliate Disclosure: This blog post contains affiliate links, and I receive a commission if you purchase through one of the links, at no additional cost to you.
Best Book Writing Software for Writers
Price: Free or $139.95 per year for Premium.
Available On: Microsoft Word, Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and Chrome Extension.
Ideal For: Writers who love to produce an error-free written piece for readers.
It is one of the top-rated writing software for writers to enhance their writing skills.
With Grammarly, you can avoid spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, grammatical mistakes, and plagiarism in your book.
If you use the premium version of Grammarly, you can simultaneously improve your writing skills.
- Examine the tone and clarity of your content.
- It helps you to avoid passive voice in content.
- Recommendations for enhancing unclear sentences.
- Alternative word suggestions for using a broader vocabulary.
- Recommends you use shorter sentences to improve readability.
Price: Free version, $20.00 per month, $79.00 per year, $399.00 lifetime.
Available On: Windows and Chrome Extension.
Ideal For: Writers, Students, Bloggers, Authors, and so on who want to improve their writing style.
ProWritingAid is a great affordable alternative to Grammarly for all writers.
With this writing software, you can improve your grammar, readability, sentence structure, spelling, style, and writing suggestions as you write.
If you are a book writing beginner and wish to become a strong writer, ProWritingAid can be your first choice, as it helps you learn as you edit.
Better Integrations with apps and programs like Google Docs, Gmail, Medium, Google Chrome, Microsoft Word, and Scrivener.
- Data Visualization.
- Detailed explanations.
- Free as well as a paid version.
- Context-focused grammar checker.
- Improve readability in your content.
Price: $199 for unlimited eBook creation.
Available On: macOS.
Ideal For: Every Mac user who wants to build a professional-looking ebook for publications.
Vellum is a book writing software for writers who want to deliver beautiful ebooks to readers.
With Vellum, you can automatically build everything for your book, including page numbers, table of contents, margins, title page headers, fonts, and line spacing.
This software’s exciting part is its book styles and preview option that allows you to find the best match for your book and see how your book will look in print on a range of devices.
- A different variety of styles.
- Easy import and export capabilities.
- Can update whenever you need it in a quick time.
- Allow preview of print or ebook version on Kindle and iPhone.
Price: Free, $30/month for “professional,” $297/yr for “annual professional.”
Available On: Windows, Android, iPhone, and macOS.
Ideal For: Writers who want to quickly self-edit their work anytime, anywhere.
AutoCrit writing software is another best alternative to Grammarly and ProWritingAid.
With this software, you can quickly eliminate the excessive adverbs you’ve used, and it also recommends you focus on exact words to use first.
On top of all this, AutoCrit is the only online editing platform that keeps your specific needs and targets the audience firmly in mind while writing.
- It does a word-by-word analysis.
- It has a “Jump” navigation to save time.
- Save and share your analysis with the click of a button.
- It identifies and stops the repeated words and phrases used.
- Quickly analyze your greatest strengths and weaknesses on the page.
5. Hemingway Editor
Price: Free (online version) and $19.99 (desktop version).
Available On: Windows and macOS.
Ideal For: Writers who want to make their writing more readable and precise to readers.
Hemingway Editor is a free book writing software for writers to check their readability.
Just copy and paste your content to the writing software. It will then grade your readability based on your adverbs, passive voice, hard-to-read sentences, and phrases with simpler alternatives.
It also gives you everything color-coded, so it is super easy to correct your mistakes.
- Allows text formatting.
- Focus more on writing style.
- Guide more on concise and direct writing.
- Gives alternative word suggestions for overused words.
- Recommends edits and provides tips to enhance the overall writing style.
Price: $49 for macOS and $45 for Windows.
Available On: macOS, Windows, and iOS.
Ideal For: Writers who are working on long and complicated writing projects.
Scrivener is one of the go-to software for writers of all kinds, like novelists and screenwriters.
With this software, you have a vast amount of flexibility for researching, outlining, writing, formatting, and organizing your book.
It also helps you set your targets to work towards achieving them without any distraction.
- Easy drag and drop capabilities for re-arranging the sections.
- Useful templates are available for both fiction and non-fiction writing.
- Easy to store and access all your research files and notes within your project binder.
- You can easily export your book to other digital platforms like Kindle, Kobo, and iBooks.
- Use a corkboard to split the screen and work in outliner views if you have longer or more complicated works.
7. Microsoft Word
Price: $149.99 or $69.99/year for one computer (price varies depending on the package you choose).
Available On: Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS.
Ideal For: Writers who want to write long and short documents.
Being one of the oldest word processors out there, Microsoft Word remains the top book writing software for many authors.
You can even format and publish an eBook using a Microsoft Word template for free.
It offers you a lot of unique features that help you to collaborate with co-authors and editors.
- User-friendly software.
- Can edit with rich formatting and layout.
- Easy to create and use many templates.
- Distraction-free writing space for writers.
Price: $6.99 per month, $29 per year, or a $129 lifetime.
Available On: macOS, Windows, iOS, Android, Chromebook, and Linux.
Ideal For: Writers who get distracted easily.
If you are a writer who procrastinates uncontrollably, then Freedom would be a perfect choice for you.
It also helps you to increase your concentration and productivity level.
You can temporarily block unnecessary distractions online, including social media websites and mobile apps, for a set period and focus entirely on writing.
- Locked mode.
- Advance scheduling.
- Block websites and apps.
- Easy to sync with other devices.
Price: Basic Evernote free, Premium $7.99/month, Business $14.99/month.
Available On: Windows, iOS, and Android.
Ideal For: Writers, Researchers, and anyone who wants to organize huge notes and research things.
While Evernote isn’t designed particularly for books, the tool’s design makes it a feasible option to write.
With Evernote, you can create, search, save, take notes, and keep track of your thoughts whenever it strikes.
You can even search for the handwritten words using this writing software and share them with your friends, family, and team members.
- Web clipper.
- Customize templates.
- Quickly search within the program.
- Sync and organize with other devices.
- Integrate with other apps or programs.
Price: Free, and Premium is $12.50/month or $119.88/year.
Available On: macOS and Windows.
Ideal For: Novelists and Authors to outline their stories.
Milanote is one of the essential book writing software to organize all notes in one place.
With this writing software’s visual workspace, you can seamlessly connect your thoughts and create mind maps.
It also has a flexible drag and drop interface that allows you to arrange things that would make sense for your project.
- Edit together in real-time.
- Can save images, text, and links from the web.
- Can invite anyone to view and edit your boards.
- You can add notes and photos from your phone.
- Allows you to download a high-quality printable PDF.
Free Book Writing Software for Writers
11. Google Docs
Available On: Android, Windows, and iOS.
Ideal For: Writers who want to collaborate with other writers and editors.
Google Docs is another useful software for writers of all kinds.
It’s simple to use and requires no backups since everything is stored in the cloud.
With Google Docs, you can write any content hassle-free and give access to multiple people.
- Easy to communicate via comments.
- Export your written document to .pdf, .txt, .epub, or .docx.
- Simple to share work-in-progress via email or a document link.
- You can view the complete history of all changes made to a document.
- Easy to access files from any device from anywhere, anytime, and even offline.
Price: Free and also has Premium Plans.
Available On: Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Ideal For: Writers who want to create, collaborate, and manage writing a book in one place.
FastPencil is one of the all-in-one free book writing software for writers and novelists who want to create books online, collaborate, publish, distribute, and sell their books hassle-free.
With this writing software, you can directly convert your manuscript to the latest eBook format.
You also have access to edit chapters you’ve written and see comments from your collaborators.
- Format your book.
- Publish in print and ebook.
- Manage sales and royalties.
- Distribute and sell your book worldwide.
13. Kindle Create
Available On: macOS, Windows, and Android.
Ideal For: Writers who want to self-publish a professional ebook on Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing.
Kindle Create is one of the must-have book writing software to create beautiful ebooks for readers.
It has professionally designed themes that help you to save your time on formatting and focus on writing.
Kindle Create helps you to prepare any book of your own for publication in a quick time.
It can either be a comic book, cookbook, travel guide, or the next great novel, depending on your interest.
- Automatically build a table of contents.
- Automatic panel and mask color detection.
- Can easily add, delete, reorganize, and replace pages.
- With Kindle previewer, you can quickly review how your book will look on all devices.
Available On: macOS, iPad, iPhone, iOS, and iCloud.
Ideal For: Mac and iOS writers who want to write an amazing book for readers.
Pages are practical alternatives to Microsoft Word for iOS, Mac, and iPad device users.
With this software, you are allowed to create and edit documents in an efficient manner.
It also offers you a whole range of templates that you can use to create books, resumes, newsletters, and even school reports.
- Real-time and offline collaboration.
- Easily convert handwriting into text.
- Create and share books with others or publish to Apple Books.
- Easily add text to images, videos, and shapes to written documents.
- Simple to apply color, gradient, or image to the background of any document.
Available On: Windows, Linux, and macOS.
Ideal For: Writers who are looking for a great alternative to Microsoft Word.
LibreOffice is one of the essential book writing software to use for all types of projects.
You have several great features in LibreOffice, including a clean and sophisticated word processing layout and supports many file formats.
So, you can create everything from a simple memo to a complete book with contents, diagrams, indexes, and more.
- Clean user interface.
- Free and open-source software.
- Excellent compatibility with Microsoft Office.
I have made this blog post exclusively for writers to write a book seamlessly.
So, I’ve handpicked the best book writing software that would highly benefit writers.
From planning to the execution of writing your book, everything becomes hassle-free.
Check out the other article that I’ve written about: How Writers Make Money.