10 Best Audiobooks 2021
Not so long ago, the only way you could enjoy literary works was by reading a book. It still is the best way to enjoy literature, but with your busy schedule and demands of modern life, you find that you read even less.
Fortunately, most novels and books are now available in their audio versions. This way, you get to kill two birds with one stone, as you can play the audiobook as you go about your other schedule normally.
So what are today’s top audiobooks?
We embarked on an intensive campaign to find good audiobooks bound to entertain and quench your thirst for good literature.
Let’s now take a look at the list of the best audiobooks in the market.
- Quality of Narration. You should be careful when buying audiobooks. How the book is narrated will determine how you consume the book. A book that is narrated in a lively manner will keep you engaged for a long time, and this way, you can enjoy the book.
A book narrated poorly will bore you as soon as you hit play, which prevents you from consuming and enjoying the story.
- Type of the Audiobooks. Audiobooks are available in two formats; unabridged audiobooks and abridged audiobooks. Unabridged audiobooks contain the same content that is available in their printed version.
Abridged audiobooks are shortened and they do not contain the exact content word by word as is present in the printed books.
You are better off with the unabridged version for proper appreciation of a book, but if you are busy and have little time on your hands, you can get that abridged version audiobook.
- The Audio Format. Some time back audiobooks were available in formats such as cassettes and CDs. These formats were cumbersome and could only be played on cassette and CD players.
At present audiobooks have been compressed into an MP3 format that you can play on your PC, smartphone, or tablet.
Top 10 Audiobooks Comparison Chart
|1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Book 1||Mystery & adventure||$$$||4.8|
|2. A Man Called Ove||Humor & Satire||$$$$||4.6|
|3. Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive||Religion and Spirituality||$$||4.6|
|4. You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life||Motivational||$$||4.6|
|5. Orphan Train: A Novel||Historical Fiction||$$$$||4.6|
|6. The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business||Social Psychology and Interactions||$$$||4.5|
|7. The Red Pyramid: The Kane Chronicles, Book 1||Science Fiction and Fantasy||$$||4.5|
|8. God Will Use This for Good: Surviving the Mess of Life||Christian Living||$||4.5|
|9. The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream||Religion and spirituality||$$$||4.4|
|10. The Girl in the Ice: Detective Erika Foster Crime Thriller, Book 1||Fiction and Literature||$$||4.4|
The Benefits of Audiobooks
- It Is Easy to Multitask. Audiobooks allow you to listen to your favorite novel as you go about your other businesses. Whether you are driving, walking, working out, or preparing dinner, you can set your audiobook on the play and enjoy your novel at the same time.
Audiobooks extend your literacy time to when you read the printed version of the book. With printed books, you have to clear your schedule to get time to read but with audiobooks, you listen as you do other things.
- Audiobooks Are Very Affordable. Audiobooks are cheap than the printed version of the same books. Some sites even give away some books free of charge. There are no shipping costs involved and all you have to do is pay a small fee and download your book.
You, therefore, get to enjoy your favorite novels without having to spend a fortune on them.
- You Retain Information Better When You Listen Rather Than When You Read a Novel. You are best placed to comprehend a novel when you listen to the audiobook rather than when you read its printed version. You are less likely to get distracted and this helps you understand the novel better.
- People with Visual Impairments Can use audiobooks. People with special needs such as vision impairment can download audiobooks and enjoy works from their favorite writers.
- No Physical Storage Spaces Are Required for Audiobooks. Unlike printed books, audiobooks do not require physical storage space. They can be stored effectively on your devices such as smartphones or PCs for an indefinite period of time.
Top 5 Best Audiobooks Reviews
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Book 1 is one of the best audiobooks (and best books) out there. Not only is the story enchanting and captivating but the story is also told in a calm and reassuring manner that brings it to life with every word that’s read.
Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Book 1 is the first installment of the Harry Potter series of books and it is in this novel, we are introduced to the artistry and writing prowess of J. K Rowling.
This book features a young Harry Potter. He has left an orphan after his parents died. He is forced to live with his uncle and aunt the Dursleys. They hate him and as a result, they mistreat him.
He sleeps in a closet and he is feeding on leftovers by the Dursleys. All these changes when Harry is invited to attend Hogwarts school of wizardry and magic. Harry is powerful and famous but all these are unknown to him.
The Dursleys hide his invitation at first but he eventually gets the invite and proceeds to the wizardry school.
What he finds at this school really fascinates him. The curriculum is absurd and the creatures present are weird and crazy.
He later finds out that he has been a wizard all his life just as his parents were.
What ensues is a tale of a young boy trying to fit into a mystical world he knew nothing about. The story is told in a captivating manner that keeps you hooked to it from start to finish.
If you are looking for a good audio book then you should you should definitely get the audio version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, Book 1
Feel good stories make for good audiobooks and A Man Called Ove is just that. It feature a man called Ove. He is retired after about 30 years in the same profession. His wife died sometimes back leaving him a widower.
With no work or a wife to keep him engaged, his neighborhood has become his only source of engagement.
But he is not the best person to have around. He is rarely happy. He is always grumpy and bothered. He finds mistakes in people, and he does not shy away from pointing them out. Simply put he is not a good neighbor.
All these changes one day when a new couple that has moved in next door flatten his mailbox.
This kick-starts an unexpected and comical friendship between Ove and Parvaneh; one half of the couple has just moved next door.
The narrator Joan Walker does a good job telling the story in a soothing and comforting manner that challenges you to listen to the story even more.
Its uncomplicated and easy nature makes it one of those novels that you can listen as you go about your other business. Of all the audiobooks in the market I would highly recommend A Man Called Ove.
We all need some inspiration once in a while. Something to inspire us to greatness. The best inspiration book out there is Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive – 30 Inspirational Stories.
It contains over 30 different inspirational stories that make every day of your life better. The stories revolve around many of life’s challenges, such as wealth and health, that encourage me to remain upbeat and positively view life.
Now picture this. You are relaxing in your living area listening to Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive – 30 Inspirational Stories narrated calmly and reassuringly. Pretty impressive, right!
Audiobooks suit you better when it comes to inspiration books as you are better placed to grasp the content when you are listening to the audiobook rather than when you read the hard copy.
It is for this reason that Chicken Soup for the Soul: Think Positive – 30 Inspirational Stories makes it as one of the best audiobooks in the market.
Self-help books help us face the challenges that life throws our way. They make us stronger than the challenge. Without self-help books the world would be full of beat and discouraged people.
If you are going through a transitional phase in your life and need a confidence boost, You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero (2013-09-16) is what you have been looking for.
This book contains techniques to eliminate those self-limiting doubts building up in your head. By the time you are through with this audiobook, your life would have taken a better turn.
So what are you waiting for? Get this audio book today and transform your life for the better.
Orphan Train: A Novel is the story of young Molly Ayer who has been in and out of the foster care system for the majority of her young life.
She is currently helping an old woman by Vivian’s name clean her house as part of her community service, an engagement that has helped her avoid juvie.
As she helps Vivian sort through her stuff, she realizes that she is not different from her. They were both abandoned as babies, something that enhances their bond.
The story is told in a calm and captivating manner, and this makes it one of the books on tape that you can get.