6 Best Audiobooks for Kids 2021
If you’ve got young kids that love stories but you don’t have hours upon hours to spend reading to them, then an audiobook is going to be your new best friend. Audiobooks are a great alternative to paper books for the busy parent and can give you the much-needed reprieve from bedtime duty.
Here we take a look at the six best audiobooks for kids and review in detail the best three from our list.
What to Consider
When you’re considering an audiobook for your kids the main thing to keep in mind is what stories they will be interested in. As parents, we all know that our kids have to be keenly interested in a story otherwise, they’ll quickly find something else to do instead. Here’re the most popular genres for young minds:
- Adventure. These are great books for young boys who love to get into trouble. A good adventure story will gently teach them to think about their actions before they get into trouble.
- Fairytale. Both girls and boys enjoy fairy tales. There is a lot in this genre that young minds can learn from such as how to treat others, stranger-danger, and other life lessons.
- Fantasy. These stories help children answer all those ‘what if’ questions they constantly seem to be asking. Sure many of the answers they’ll find are make-believe, but these stories help young minds connect the dots and draw their own conclusions.
Top 6 Audiobooks for Kids Chart
|Picture||Name||Story themes||Price||Rating (1-5)|
|1. Books for Kids: Wiggly the Worm||Exploring outside with friends||$$||4.5|
|2. Christmas Stories: Fun Christmas Stories for Kids||Playful twists on Christmas tales||$$||4.4|
|3. Magic Tree House Collection: Books 1-8||Dinosaurs, knights, mummies and pirates||$||4.4|
|4. Bedtime Stories for Kids||Short happy adventures with animal characters||$$||4.4|
|5. Lily Lemon Blossom||A peek inside Lily’s magical bedroom with talking toys and adventures||$||4.0|
|6. Tongue Twisters for Kids||Short and fun tongue twisters to tire out noisy talkers||$$||3.8|
Buying the best audiobooks for kids is challenging at the best of times. In fact, kids are the hardest people to buy for because they’re always changing their minds. One day they want pirates and dragons, the next it’s something totally different. The best audiobooks for children have these traits in common:
- Interesting Characters. Kids have very creative minds that need to be stimulated to keep them engaged. Having interesting characters that have quirky personalities is a great way to keep them hooked on a story.
- Short Adventures. Stories shouldn’t be long, a few hundred words at most. Kids have short attention spans and will get bored quickly unless events and surprises keep them interested.
- Simple Descriptions. Children’s minds are still forming so having long drawn-out descriptions of what something looks like is going to be wasted and go right over their heads. Stories should stick to a few simple elements such as big, small, red, blue, tall and short.
- Lessons. All the best children’s stories have at least one lesson the kids can take away from listening to the story. Make sure your selected audiobooks has one, too!
Top 3 Best Audiobooks for Kids Reviews
This fun collection of short stories is great for young kids. The characters are themed around creatures you’d find in your backyard such as snails, snakes, worms and mosquitoes. What we loved about these stories are their variety and unpredictability – even we were surprised when we heard what came next on a few plot lines.
There are five short stories in this audiobook and each is vastly different from the last. The stories focus on what happens when the band of creatures explore around the yard – your back yard to be precise. Will they encounter friend or foe?
Every kid loves Christmas! Moreover, what better way to get them into the Christmas spirit than by playing Christmas stories to excite their imaginations? Perhaps they’ve got some questions about Santa and Christmas that they never thought to ask…
- “Where does Santas beard come from?”
- “What will happen to Christmas in the future?”
- “Does Santa give presents to the fish in the ocean?”
Kids’ minds are always coming up with wonderful questions we never even thought to consider, this series of stories does a good job of answering them.
If you wanted value, you’ve got it. This isn’t just a few short stories it’s a whole series of short stories – and it’s the same price as single audiobooks. What we loved most about this audiobook was the variety, there is literally something here for everyone.
And with over 5 hours of content, your kids will be entertained for hours. The stories are vivid and easy to follow, with really interesting characters and challenges. This is the best audiobook for kids when you’re on a budget.