- High-low title will appeal to kids fascinated by all things military.
- Series features include photos, diagrams, glossary, and resources.
- Describes vividly-but does not glorify-a sophisticated and lethal weapon of destruction.
- High interest in communities near military bases.
- Easy-to-read text for low-level readers.
Grades 5-8 Science Standards
Science and Technology
- Evaluate completed technological designs/products.
- Communicate the process of technological design.
Science in Personal and Social Perspectives
- Understanding the risks of natural, chemical, biological, social & personal hazards.
- Science influences society through its knowledge & world view.
Grades 5-8 Standards for Social Studies
Time, Continuity & Change
- Identify key concepts (causality, conflict) to explain patterns of change/continuity.
- Identify processes for reinterpreting past using variety of sources & weighing evidence.
- Use knowledge of material from history to make decisions on public issues.
Power, Authority, & Governance
- Describe the ways nations respond to forces of unity and diversity affecting order and security.
- Describe the role of technology in communications, transportation, weapons development as it contributes to/helps resolve conflicts.
Science, Technology, & Society
- Examine the influence of culture on technological choices/advancements such as warfare.
- Explore causes, effects, solutions to persistent global issues such as security.